Monday, March 27, 2006

How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption?

How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption?

Experience is the best teacher of the mankind. Bad experience teaches you what not to do or what to avoid. Many people do not share their bad experience with others in anticipation to enjoy the replication of the fiasco previously happened with themselves (i.e. victims of bad experience). But I would like to share my bad experience with you so that you will not also become a victim like me. Let's start the topic...Being a victim of data loss I know the intensity of pain of loosing data. Yes, I am talking of data loss, the worst experience I ever faced in my life. I used term the "worst" experience, because I lost the backup data stored on CDs. Read this article to know why this happened and what solutions for continuous data protection I found to overcome it.

How to avoid data corruption?

I had some essential data to refer to that was backed up on a CD close to eight months ago. Being in a hurry when I burned the CD, I opted to buy a couple of unbranded CDs from my local shop for cheap. I was shocked when the CDs simply didn't work on my PC.

But I'll have you know that how can you avoid this? All you have to do is simply take a few precautionary steps when you first burn your CDs and while handling them later. This will definitely ascertain a longevity and better stability of your precious data on the CD.

Never compromise for quality

Quality is one of the important factors to have good endurance of data on the CDs. There are many unbranded CDs available in the market. No doubt, these the cheapest available way to backup data. But the fact is the quality of the CD directly affects the data stored on it. Higher the quality of CD, longer the data will be stored on it. Cheap quality unbranded CDs will probably stop working within six to twelve months. I will recommend you to use branded CDs such as Samsung, Sony and Moserbaer, and relax!

Importance of data rotation

If you are not comfortable or not confident about the quality of CD. If you don't want to rely blindly on CD, you can keep rotating the data every six to twelve months onto newer CD. This is what I learned from my very own experience.

Handle with care

Handle CDs correctly if you want them to stay longer. I will recommend you to hold it by placing your thumb on the rim and inserting your index finger in the center hole of CD. This will protect CD from finger print impressions on them.

Use marker pen to write on CD

If you don't want to damage the underlying data layer of your CD, I will recommend you to use marker pen to mark the CD. Never try ball pen for this purpose.

How to handle unlabelled CDs?

CDS and DVDs without labels or stickers especially unbranded CDs start to crack over a period of time. The cracks go down to the layer of the material where the data is stored. If this happens there's no solution to retrieve the stored data on it. In this case the only solution is to simply throw away the damaged CDs or if you still involved in them simply use them as tea mats. To avoid this situation use CD labels and stick them on CDs. If you're buying a printer go for printers that can print cd labels.

Protecting and storing CDs

Many people don't know the importance of protecting cd copying and storing CDs in proper way. I don't know why people let the CDs or DVDs lie around in the open instead of placing it back in its cover. A small dust particle is enough to make scratch on CD irrespective of fact that whether you let a CD out face up or face down. So it's always better to place it back in its cover as soon as you finish your work.

Regular clean up of CDs

Cleanliness is next to godliness, why? It's better to timely clean your CDs and DVDs rather than remembering God later for retrieving the lost data. Remove fingerprint marks and dirt wiping CD using lint-free cloth and wipe the CD/DVD in a straight line starting from the center towards rim in smooth manner.

Mild Washing of CDs

Don't hesitate to wash the CDs/DVDs if you feel that they need mild cleaning. Use lukewarm water with mild detergent, dip CDs into water and gently shake the CD in the solution. To dry CDs/DVDs again use the same lint-free clothe and soak up the water. To avoid scratches never scrub the CD for drying.

I never saw seriously towards protecting the stored data on CDs, but the day I realize that only CD backup is not enough reason to rely on, I decided to find the permanent data storage solution to protect the data stored on CDs and DVDs. I hope you will also find the above tips useful for buying and protecting your CDS and DVDs.

Learn Data Protection Solutions...

18 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Blogger discoveryccards said...

Hi there JAYANT, I am out searching for more info and link exchange
opportunities regarding cash rebate credit cards and found your site.
How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption? wasn´t maybe a perfect match, but it certainly got
my attention and interest. If you would like a link partnership, then
plz let me now, and I´ll place a link to your page or blog on my
homepage.
Great post thanks for the read.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger aceinthehole21 said...

I found a cool site on grant, check it out grant

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Thomas said...

Hi there JAYANT, I am out searching for more info and link exchange
opportunities regarding student credit cards and found your site.
How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption? wasn´t maybe a perfect match, but it certainly got
my attention and interest. If you would like a link partnership, then
plz let me now, and I´ll place a link to your page or blog on my
homepage.
Great post thanks for the read.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Thomas said...

Hi JAYANT, I am out searching for latest
info on mastercards and found your site.
Although How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption? wasn´t exactly what I was looking for, it certainly got
my attention and interest. If you would like a link partnership, then
plz let me now...
Great post thanks for the read.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Platinumccards said...

Hi JAYANT, I am out searching for latest
info on Visa credit cards and found your site.
Although How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption? wasn´t exactly what I was looking for, it certainly got
my attention and interest. If you would like a link partnership, then
plz let me now...
Great post thanks for the read.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Platinumccards said...

Hi there JAYANT, I am out searching for more info and link exchange
opportunities regarding no annual fee credit cards and found your site.
How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption? wasn´t maybe a perfect match, but it certainly got
my attention and interest. If you would like a link partnership, then
plz let me now, and I´ll place a link to your page or blog on my
homepage.
Great post thanks for the read.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger discoveryccards said...

Hi JAYANT, I am out searching for latest
info on Visa credit cards and found your site.
Although How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption? wasn´t exactly what I was looking for, it certainly got
my attention and interest. If you would like a link partnership, then
plz let me now...
Great post thanks for the read.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Platinumccards said...

Hi there JAYANT, I am building a website containing info on free credit reports, so I´m
out searching for link exchange partners.
Although How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption? isn´t a perfect match, maybe a
link exchange would be interesting??
Great post thanks for the read.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Thomas said...

Hi there JAYANT, I am building a website containing info on no annual fee credit cards, so I´m
out searching for link exchange partners.
Although How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption? isn´t a perfect match, maybe a
link exchange would be interesting??
Great post thanks for the read.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger bar-codes said...

Nice work! You may take a look at my site for biometric. It has many links and interesting information - http://biometric.usbizsys.com/biometric-2000.html

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Platinumccards said...

Hi there JAYANT, I am building a website containing info on credit cards, so I´m
out searching for link exchange partners.
Although How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption? isn´t a perfect match, maybe a
link exchange would be interesting??
Great post thanks for the read.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger discoveryccards said...

Hi there JAYANT, I am building a website containing info on no annual fee credit cards, so I´m
out searching for link exchange partners.
Even though How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption? isn´t a perfect match, maybe a
link exchange would be interesting??
Great post thanks for the read.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger zero_pct_apr said...

Hi there JAYANT, I am building a website containing info on student credit cards, so I´m
out searching for link exchange partners.
Although How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption? isn´t a perfect match, maybe a
link exchange would be interesting??
Great post thanks for the read.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Thomas said...

Hi there JAYANT, I am out searching for more info and link exchange
opportunities regarding free credit reports and found your site.
How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption? wasn´t maybe a perfect match, but it certainly got
my attention and interest. If you would like a link partnership, then
plz let me now, and I´ll place a link to your page or blog on my
homepage.
Great post thanks for the read.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger discoveryccards said...

Hi there JAYANT, I am building a website containing info on low interest credit cards, so I´m
out searching for link exchange partners.
Even though How do I make a backup cd for my computer without data corruption? isn´t a perfect match, maybe a
link exchange would be interesting??
Great post thanks for the read.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Ronan Jimson said...

Hello JAYANT, This is a good article site.
i found many information here.
-----------------------------------------------
http://global-in-arm.com
Good luck, JAYANT

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger barb michelen said...

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger bernard n. shull said...

hi mate, this is the canadin pharmacy you asked me about: the link

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web YOUR DOMAIN NAME